Which dress style fits your body type?
VeraDress Style Guide
Let’s find out your body type and the dresses which will look fabulous on you! Fashion is all about dressing you according to the body proportions. Think about shape itself more than weight and height.
Of course everyone is unique in his wonderful way, but in general, our bodies can be sorted into five categories: Wedge, Rectangle, Apple, Hourglass, and Pear. Those are not exclusive, you might fit into two or more categories as well.
By taking a look at some examples and some time in front the mirror, we can find out the body shape and with this guide which dress styles to embrace and which ones to avoid.
Draw the attention to what you like best on your body.
Shoulders and Arms? Wear a strapless dress accompanied by an attention drawing statement necklace. If you like your legs get a short dress, you can add sleeves for balance as you don’t want to show too much at once.
1. Wedge body type
The wedge body type is also known as the inverted triangle, featuring a broad chest and wide shoulders, a narrow waist, and hips. The best asset are your legs, embrace them if possible.
- emphasize your lower body
- wear full skirts
- try a high-waisted style
- try a style which includes a belt
- bright colors will flatter the overall design on your body
Some Wedge type celebrities: Demi Moore, Renee Zellweger, Audrina Patridge, Naomi Campbell
Naomi Campbell wearing an a-line high waist dress in bright color. Perfect wedge body type ball or wedding dress style.
2. Rectangle body type
The rectangle body’s best assets are arms and legs, it’s a trait as the hip, waist, and shoulders are share a similar width and you can focus on creating curves and show off either your legs or arms.
- look for scoop neck or sweetheart neck dresses
- dresses with ruching and ruffles will flatter your upper body
- have an built-in bra made to your dress to make the most of what you have
- think about colorful dresses
Some rectangle type celebrities: Cameron Diaz, Hilary Swank, Kate Hudson, Natalie Portman
Cameron Diaz wearing a colorful ruffled floor length dress to flatter her upper body, show off the arms and shoulders.
3. Apple body type
The apple body type has a broad torso, with wide ribs, shoulders, and back. Your best asset is your legs.
- create an illusion of a longer body
- draw attention to your legs while softening the upper body
- strapless V-neck or empire hem dress, with a strong built-in bra
Some apple type celebrities: Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, Drew Barrymore, Eva Longoria
Eva Longoria wearing an a-line hi-lo special occasion dress, to lengthen her body type and soften the torso.
4. Hourglass body type
Balance is the key to your body type, it’s traits come with a similar proportion of shoulders and hips while having a tiny waist. Your best asset is all the curves you can show off!
- don’t hide your curves
- v-neck or sweetheart neckline dresses
- high waisted or wrap dresses
- dresses should be tailor-made to your measurements
Some hourglass type celebrities: Scarlett Johansson, Halle Berry, Beyonce, Vanessa Minnillo
Halle Berry wearing a sweetheart, high waist wrap dress, drawing attention to her well proportioned upper body and legs.
5. Pear body type
The lower body is wider than the upper body. The best assets are your torso and shoulders, draw attention to the arms, waist as well as your whole upper body.
- scoop-neck, sweetheart, a-line hi-lo dresses
- wide hemline to balance out the hips
- opt-in for strapless design to show off arms and shoulders
- try styles with ruffles on the upper body
Some pear type celebrities: Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Love-Hewitt, Eva Mendes
Eva Mendes in an a-line ruffled dress with a wide hemline which balance out her wide hips, showing off skin on arms and shoulders.
That’s the end of our short guide on body type styling, don’t hesitate to contact us directly if you have questions or seeking advice regarding your body type.